I am officially in love with granola. What’s not to love?? Crunchy, slightly sweet, personalized-to-your-tastes, cereal that can be eaten for breakfast, snack, or even as a dessert. And, granola is both healthy and sustaining. Win.
Traditional, carb-heavy, breakfast cereals always leave me hungry an hour after breakfast. = Uncool.
Homemade granola served atop a bowl of yogurt and sliced fruit is a wonderful way to resolve the, inevitably-leaves-me-hungrier-than-before-I-ate-breakfast, cereal issue. Granola is pumped full of ingredients that will fill you up and keep you full, while still tasting totally delicious.
Clearly, my love-affair with granola won’t be slowed down and is only picking up steam. So if you want a seat on the granola-bandwagon, this here (*insert twang*) recipe’s for you.
Chocolate Chip Granola
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I have used different combinations of peanuts, almonds, walnuts, hulled pumpkin seeds, pecans, hazelnuts, etc.)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 275°F
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with oil or cooking spray.
3. In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, maple syrup, olive oil, water, and vanilla. Whisk until the ingredients are well combined. Remove from the heat.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, nuts, and shredded coconut.
5. Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the oats mixture. All ingredients should be well-incorporated.
6. Pour mixture onto prepared pan. Working a handful at a time, squeeze the granola to form small clumps. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and stir in dried fruit. Put it back in the oven to bake for another 15 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Once cool, stir in the chocolate chips.