I MADE CINNAMON CHIPS!!!
…ohhhh boy. This was an exciting kitchen endeavour.
I had seen several recipes using cinnamon chips, rather than the readily-available chocolate, peanut butter, and toffee chips. I looked and I looked and I looked, but no cigar. Sad, but true. I found some online, but I was deterred by their costliness. I knew that this culinary roadblock was only going to be temporary, as a solution would pop up somewhere, but it was frustrating nonetheless. One day I came across a recipe for homemade cinnamon chips. Imagine my excitement!
I read through the very short list of ingredients and concluded that I was good-to-go. And go I did. Straight into my kitchen.
These are simple to whip up and they are tasty to eat. Now that this door has been thrown open, I am looking forward to all of the cinnamon-chip-baked delights in my immediate future.
They certainly don’t cut perfectly, but their refusal to succumb to a cookie-cutter lifestyle is part of these cinnamon chips’ charm and appeal.
Cinnamon Baking Chips
Source: Mind Over Batter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
3. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet, flattening with your hands and shaping into a rough square about 1/4 inch or so thick.
4.Bake until mixture is melted and somewhat bubbly, about 35 minutes.
5. Cool completely and cut (or break) into small pieces.